Friday, October 9, 2009

I knew I was there at 2 in the morning, soaking through a superplus tampon and

I knew I was there at 2 in the morning, soaking through a superplus tampon and the two tablets of the night I had recorded together, which would be another sleepless night. I was afraid to get out of bed to switch providers. I had ruined enough underwear, nightgowns and blankets during the previous year to know that any sudden movement, even rolling in bed, could cause a large jet. However, I prepared gradually squeezing the legs together, as I rose to cross the bedroom floor. The blood ran down my thighs and on the carpet while I get way in the dark to the bathroom. Relief was on the road. For at least three hours. Bleeding profusely br three days a month, loss of sleep, keep a change of clothes at work, unable to concentrate because of my anemia and depletion of the new total was normal for me. As a single mother raising two teenage girls and two jobs, that was a disaster. If not for the love and support of my children, my family, my boyfriend and my boss, I probably would have lost my job and my sanity. I needed help and needed it fast. Enough is enough, I thought as he rolled out to my family doctor for the third time in a year. quot; I can not take this bleeding m�squot never, I said. quot; What about me quot; is prescribed blood thickening Cyklokapron medication, I was going to take every four hours during my day heavier. She also sent me an ultrasound, which revealed multiple fibroids growing inside the lining of my uterus, one as big as an orange, and each time more per month. Fibroids (now know) are noncancerous tumors that develop on or in the lining of the uterus and can cause severe bleeding, extreme pain or, for some lucky women, no symptoms at all. Approximately 40 percent of Caucasian women and 60 percent of African American women have fibroids than 35 years of age, with increasing numbers at 70 percent and 80 percent, respectively, for 50 years. Nobody really knows what causes, but estrogen makes it grow, happily, usually continue to increase in size after menopause. Only three options My doctor referred me to a gynecologist, who said he had three options Manage my symptoms until menopause, increase my dose of Cyklokapron or a partial hysterectomy to remove my womb. quot; The uterus is lit up like a tree Navidadquot, he said, referring to my ultrasound, which looked like a LiteBrite screen, with lots of colored dots indicating where the fibroids. He described the uterus like a nest of quot; c�ncerquot, and said that a hysterectomy is the only sure way to eliminate any risk of developing cancer of the uterus on the road, although he had no family history of it or any other cancer. With this language, I got in I called my boyfriend on the way home, crying, quot; Gaston, I think it must have a histerectom�a.quot; was exhausted and tired, my brain was in a fog, and was now before the prospect of major surgery. I thought about it and after my next period even heavier, decided to call my gynecologist to the book of surgery. Sue My sister told me I was crazy. I had heard all kinds of stories about women who had experienced health problems after hysterectomy. I ignored him, saying it was my body and I could choose any treatment that I wanted. After all, I knew several women who had the procedure and raved about its results. One of them is my friend Louise, who, like me, lives in Ottawa. She told me that the surgery gave him a new life after years of heavy bleeding and terrible pain caused by endometriosis. quot; I suffered for 20 years and more with only kind he, like most women, quot; Louise confident. quot; One morning I woke up and my back pain was so bad I had to crawl to the bathroom. It was too much. I went to my doctor and asked for a hysterectomy. She says she has never looked back. I was jealous and wanted the same relief. br br