Friday, October 9, 2009

Hello everyone. I came across this website and I'm glad I

Hello everyone. I came across this website and I'm glad I did. I find it refreshing to read about all your experiences. The overall message I am receiving all the posts is that fibroids, when they adversely affect a woman, affects everyone differently and in general, myomectomy, however done, is effective. Did I sum that correctly br My story is in the mid section at this point. I am 44. Never had children and really have no realistic expectation that any. And, my fibroid story really only started in May 2006. I knew I was anemic, but had no real concept of what it meant. My family doctor had warned me that my problems were such that I could consider a hysterectomy. Again, no idea why or what that entails. This was prediagnosis of fibroids. I just knew I did not want one. Day 7 of my period normally regular and predictable, which started bleeding profusely and blood clots. I told my kindergarten class to talk to each other as he ran to the bathroom. Luckily he had a dark sweater to wrap around the waist to hide my stained pants. GPS sought my help as I was scared to death like the bleeding so suddenly. It had never occurred before. I wanted to get in the hospital that night, but I was more scared of hospitals bleeding. I'd never been in a hospital except to visit someone who was a patient. So let me promise to stay home next week and do nothing. But, as it was at night, I felt dizzy and heard noises in the ears. So I went to the hospital. When I went to the emergency room, an ultrasound was performed in a mess and I discovered I had fibroids. The next day I had a DC and was transfused with 3 units of blood. My hemoglobin level was 5.3. When he was released a day after that my level had gone up to 6.4 live! I felt weak, but I was so relieved that the bleeding had stopped! However, following the meeting of care gynocologist first before making the DC, I was presented with the sentence: Hello, my name is Dr. so and so. Why not want a hysterectomy That yes, he had never met this man, much less spoken to him about such an important decision like this. Turns out he was kind of sad and kind Doom. When I visited him shortly after the coming months, was not encouraging about the treatment you choose, what was a UFE. They said they had a large tumor the size of an orange and met with the radiologist told me it was a good candidate for the procedure. I had the procedure in midJune 2006. The only problem was my reaction to pain medication. I was severely nauseous and eventually succombe and vomited. However, the UFE does not seem to be effective. My periods still so serious and clotty and I had to lose 23 days of work each month. Back to gynecomastia. He made comments like that (the uterus) is still great, and sometimes (UFE) does not work, every time I went to see him. Finally I was discouraged with his fatalistic attitude when I had the opportunity to choose a new doctor in the open enrollment period, I went to another gynocologist that had been years before. She was even worse with the attitude. She would not talk of any solution except hysterectomy. N MRI to find any information about what was happening. And oh, by the way, if she got there and saw that there was something abnormal, that just would feel free to remove the ovaries as well. Oh, and by the way, the forensic report back in May AD thought it might be cancer so I wanted to do as soon as possible hysterectomy. I do not want to go to that as a solution until everyone else was exhausted. It would also be economically bad for me to have an extended recovery period during the school year. So, despite warnings of bad things to come if it was not cancer, let me defer until the summer. Subsequently it had a pathologist reviewed the slides from the DC, and decided that there was no cancer. But that did not stop throwing the word C frighten about to do what she wanted to do. One thing she did that was good I got Synarel and Aygestin (sp) To stop my periods and help me recover from anemia. It worked, but the hot flashes and headaches have been difficult to treat. However, I really had no confidence in our ability to communicate and that she really did not want to hear my concerns. And I really believe that in this century, the only recourse for a woman suffering from fibroids is to remove the uterus. There are many advantages of keeping such an important body that I do not just take it out will not affect other processes in my body. So I changed to another doctor who is affiliated with CedarsSinai in Los Angeles. I still have to have my first visit with this doctor. And this is my frustration with all this. If a woman going to find a doctor who will give you choices And how to negotiate the minefield that is the insurance companies I hope this new doctor had been practicing long enough to have experience and is open to treatment options for fibroids and myomectomy. So, I cross my fingers and make the pass. br Since the ladies have been through this, what questions should I make sure I do when I meet him Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated. br br